Providing the best nutrition is very important for the health of your Pit Bull. You want to ensure that your dog isn’t consuming a diet of junk, and when you read dog food labels, it won’t take much to figure out that there is a lot of junk in dog food.
- Proteins are essential for the growth and repair of muscles, bones, and other body tissues, as well as the production of antibodies, enzymes, and hormones.
- Carbohydrates are metabolized into glucose, which is the body’s number one energy source.
- Fats are essential for energy when glucose isn’t available. The body also uses fats for hormone production, proper nervous system functions, and vitamin transport.
- Vitamins and minerals are used by the body for muscle and nerve function, as well as bone growth, healing, metabolism, and fluid balance.
When choosing a dog food, you want to make sure that you read the label. Just because the bag says that it is the best of the best, that doesn’t really mean anything. Marketing definitely plays an important tool when selling dog food.
You want to make sure that a has a meat protein as the first ingredient because this means that the main ingredient is a meat protein base. Avoid dog foods that have corn and corn products as the first ingredient, as corn is used as a filler. The more fillers that are in the dog food, the more your dog will need to eat in order to obtain the same nutrient balance as a high quality dog food.
Also take into consideration the type of food- dry, semi-moist, wet, and frozen.
- Dry foods are the least expensive. The hard kibble is great for working plaque of your dog’s teeth and keeping the gums massaged.
- Semi-moist food is expensive and contains a lot of sugars, which can lead to dental problems and obesity,
- Wet food is a good supplement to dry food, especially when feeding underweight dogs, dogs recovering and illness, or elderly dogs who may have trouble eating hard kibble.
- Frozen food can be quite expensive and has similar advantages as wet food.
If you’re really not sure about feeding your Pit Bull any of these options, you can always consider making your own food. You will use human-grade ingredients and offer a raw food-type diet. These diets tend to immulate the diet that a wild dog or wolf would eat. If you opt for this type of diet, definitely consult with your veterinarian for specifics.